Saturday, December 19, 2009

On the Sixth Day of Christmas...

... My true love gave to me 6 geese-a-laying, 5 golden rings, 4 colly birds, 3 French hens, 2 turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Geese were among some of the first domesticated birds, and a traditional Christmas meal in England. BUT I bet it is a traditional meal in France first (continuing with the theory that the song *probably* originated in France). I mean, hello, FOIE GRAS!?! Geese are totally a French food :)

Well, something interesting about Geese, they mate for life, BUT they are also polygamous! The males mate with multiple females -for life- So I guess it makes sense that in the song 6 female geese are given. (Male geese are called Ganders).

I learned some of this post's information here. Anything else that isn't cited, I just made up :D


No comments: