Tuesday, December 22, 2009

On the Ninth day of Christmas...

... My true love gave to me 9 ladies dancing, 8 maids a-milking, 7 swans a-swimming, 6 geese a-laying, 5 golden rings, 4 colly birds, 3 French hens, 2 turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.

9 ladies dancing most likely refers to the celebration of the the 12 days. "Ladies," during the time period that the song originated, referred to woman of noble birth, and these nine ladies were not entertainment, but most likely guests enjoying themselves at the party.

KJ fact: Whenever I go out dancing I get a side-ache. The only other person in the world that I know this happens to is my bestest friend Mandy Mather Spencer :) When we go dancing we always have a moment where we look at each other, start laughing, and say I have a side-ache! It's funny :D

No comments: