Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

Happy Belated Thanksgiving :)

I wanted to list what I'm thankful for like so many of you have already done on your own blogs, facebook, and twitter accounts. I am thankful for:

Greg, the love of my life
Garbanzo, the best dog in the world
Redji our tortoise
my education (and Greg's education, and his job)
my family (my family and Greg's family)
my friends, every single one of you!
and
for yummy food on turkey day!

I really am a very lucky lady to be blessed with so many friends and family that I love and love me back.

Some highlights from turkey day at the Nelson's house:

I made our traditional stuffing that has been passed down from multiple generations on Greg's side of the family:

Started by drying my own bread, just the way my mommy does it!

Finished product...oh so yummy-tasty!

I picked limes from right outside our apartment, straight off the tree, and made the freshest, most yummiest, lime pie I ever tasted! I used my mom's recipe :)



1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup lime juice (freshly squeezed)
1 1/3 cup milk
4 heaping TBSP corn starch
3 unbeaten egg yolks
1 cup sour cream

Mix sugar and cornstarch, set aside. In pan melt butter, add lime juice, egg yolks, and milk~blend. Gradually add sugar and corn starch, cook over medium heat until thick. Mixture will be lumpy. Stir in sour cream. Pour into a pre-baked pie shell. (I used a pre-baked pie shell, but it is good with a graham cracker crust as well). Cool.

The turkey turned out perfectly :) It was so tender and moist.

I also made some of the other traditional items: like super yummy butter rolls, and Cranberry Apple Chutney, Brussel Sprouts & Leeks, and potatoes & gravy. YUMMY! The one thing I forgot: Sweet Potatoes...which I had all the ingredients for, I just forgot to make it~woops!

We had Nick and Maiko over. They were such fun guests. We played nintendo, Rage, Settlers of Catan, and went to see the newest version of A Christmas Carol in 3-D. I'm telling you, it was a good time!

One of the best parts of my day was taking Garbanzo for a 3 mile run. The moment I put on my running shoes he couldn't contain his excitement! I can't believe how great a running companion he is. I'm telling you people, Garbanzo is the best dog EVER! After the run he was soooooo pooped! check it out, this is how he spent most of the day:

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Okay Martha Stewart, I am so going to make that pie!

Mabel said...

wow you did these all by yourself?? everything looks delicious! Hey I never said thank you for the award you gave me...so, Thank you so much you are awesome!

Surabhi said...

Wow, this looks AMAZING. We missed you guys, belated happy thanksgiving.