Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mini food and my sea-sick-green thumb

I have a sea-sick-green thumb :) Really I do. But, at least it is green right? In the past I attempted to grow herbs like basil and lavender out on my patio. They didn't grown past baby sprouts before dying, sadly. I had a Bonsai tree once, that despite my watchful care, died. I've tried growing flowers and failed. I had cala lily bulbs that kept trying to grow, but continually died. Despite my failed attempts, I still have this unrealistic hope that I'll be a plant connoisseur and have a thriving apartment-garden.

So this summer I planted tomato seeds :) I thought my tomatoes would never arrive, given how many times I forgot to water my plant, let it partly die, and attempted at breathing life into it again. For an entire week in September I was out of town. When I arrived home my plant had been blown over on the patio. The pot broken. The plant mostly dead. But somehow I seemed to rescue it. I never imagined after that that actual fruit could grow on it, but they finally did, just recently in fact. So on Wednesday I picked them and put them in my lunch salad. They were so cute! They were about the size of the tip of my pinky...so itsy-bitsy-adorable! I showed them off to all my coworkers, who happen to be fantastic real gardeners. I should have been embarrassed by the tomatoes' size, but I wasn't. I was so damn proud.


So after enjoying my home-grown tomatoes I was feeling pretty good about my food creating skills. So I cooked up a mini pumpkin squash for dinner. I decided that I would toast the pumpkin seeds (rather than throwing them out like usual). I've never even eaten pumpkin seeds. I was pleasantly surprised by how yummy mini-toasted pumpkin seeds are with a little salt...tastes like popcorn! Such a yummy-delicious snack! So great to eat while watching my favorite Curb Your Enthusiasm :) And so seasonal.


1 comment:

Elaine said...

As your co-worker, I must say I'm glad I got to see the tomatoes! They were very cute and I can't believe they went through so much.