Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy


"I am a part of all that I have met
To [Tho] much is taken, much abides
That which we are, we are --
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

--Alfred Tennyson


I was touched today as I was watching on every channel about the life and legacy of Ted Kennedy. I remember my dad (a "conservative") always speaking highly of Senator Kennedy (a "liberal"). He was always impressed with how well Kennedy could work effectively with all sorts of people in the Senate--Republican, Democrat, and the sorts. I think what my dad and I like about him so much was his integrity. He wasn't the sort of politician to flip-flop on issues. He has always stood by his political and moral beliefs. He has done this in the midst of all his personal tragedies.

Today I kept hearing quotes of his speech from the Democratic Convention of 1980. So I looked it up and read it. You can find it here: Democratic Convention of 1980 speech.

I was struck by how much of the speech reflected the 1980's as well as RIGHT NOW! I'm so sad that he, being someone that has always stood up for the common man, will no longer be the "Lion of the Senate." I wonder who, if anyone, can replace him. I wonder how anything good will get done. I wonder who now will stick up for the common man with such grace, compassion, and bilateral maneuvering.

Following are a few paragraphs from his 1980 speech that I think reflect our current situation. I hope that we can continue to apply his wisdom to the status quo.

On Jobs, the common man, and the economy:

"The commitment I seek is not to outworn views but to old values that will never wear out. Programs may sometimes become obsolete, but the ideal of fairness always endures. Circumstances may change, but the work of compassion must continue. It is surely correct that we cannot solve problems by throwing money at them, but it is also correct that we dare not throw out our national problems onto a scrap heap of inattention and indifference. The poor may be out of political fashion, but they are not without human needs. The middle class may be angry, but they have not lost the dream that all Americans can advance together.

The demand of our people in 1980 is not for smaller government or bigger government but for better government. Some say that government is always bad and that spending for basic social programs is the root of our economic evils. But we reply: The present inflation and recession cost our economy 200 billion dollars a year. We reply: Inflation and unemployment are the biggest spenders of all."

On Health Care:

"Finally, we cannot have a fair prosperity in isolation from a fair society. So I will continue to stand for a national health insurance. We must -- We must not surrender -- We must not surrender to the relentless medical inflation that can bankrupt almost anyone and that may soon break the budgets of government at every level. Let us insist on real controls over what doctors and hospitals can charge, and let us resolve that the state of a family's health shall never depend on the size of a family's wealth.

The President, the Vice President, the members of Congress have a medical plan that meets their needs in full, and whenever senators and representatives catch a little cold, the Capitol physician will see them immediately, treat them promptly, fill a prescription on the spot. We do not get a bill even if we ask for it, and when do you think was the last time a member of Congress asked for a bill from the Federal Government? And I say again, as I have before, if health insurance is good enough for the President, the Vice President, the Congress of the United States, then it's good enough for you and every family in America."

I agree!

p.s. I recently wrote to each of my California Senators and Congresswoman saying that we need to pass a universal health care plan! No matter what side of the issue you are on, I encourage you to do the same.

Love,

KJ

No comments: