Friday, August 28, 2009

A Place I Love

Once upon a time I lived in Idaho. True story.

Idaho is a unique place. It is hard to describe in words what it is like, you kind of just have to go there. It is this place that is beyond austere, but magnanimous at the same time. It is full of conservatives farmers and liberal tree huggers, a combination that seems to work out just lovely. You can drive for miles and miles and only see quilted land which I'm sure would look much more like a quilt from the view of an airplane. When you arrive in a town, it immediately feels like home. Even in Boise (Idaho's largest city, and Capitol) you can ride your bike and jay-walk practically without looking, it just feels laid back, and well put together at the same time.

I moved to Idaho at the peak of my high school career :) to a city called Pocatello. The population of Pocatello about a year ago was 54,901. It was a big change for me, but probably the best thing that could have ever happened to me at that time. But I won't get into that now. I just want to emphasize that I really love Idaho. There is something so relaxing about living in Idaho that makes me want to go back again and again. Here is a picture of Pocatello, I use to run around this particular area a lot for cross-country practice:


Pocatello, Idaho (a picture I did not take, but looks so familiar)



Boise, Idaho (a picture that I obviously did not take)


When we were visiting Greg's sister, bro-in-law, and niece in Boise I tried to take note of the things I like. Here are some things I like about Boise:
--wide streets, easy-going traffic
--big street signs
--outdoor eating at restaurants
--great coffee shops
--from what I hear, a great night-life
--trails that go all over for biking, running, walking, and happiness
--it is dog friendly
--people do fun stuff like float the river, kayak, hike, and lots of outdoorsy stuff
--the temperature in the summer is hot, but not stifling sticky
--houses are so nice, and affordable (and they have big yards)!
--great university :) Greg's sister is a professor at Boise State
--even though it is a city, there is a lot of open area
--people are friendly

We went to eat at some great places: Mai Thai, and Big City Coffee If you get a chance to travel to Boise, or you live there, you should definitely go to Big City Coffee, their Quiche is to die for, and the name of their coffee makes me laugh... Big Titty Coffee. Proceeds go to breast cancer research, I believe.

When we were driving I took some pictures of the land that really remind me of living in Idaho. They are so open, flat, austere, and beautiful. These pictures make me homesick for a place that is no longer my home.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

You really captured the culture of Boise! I would love for you guys to come back to see the forests and mountains next time (that is after we visit you). Sure love you!

Kjerry said...

thanks Natalie! We miss you guys, so come visit sooner rather than later :)