Monday, July 6, 2009

The Soundtrack of Our Lives

I often daydream while I'm out running about what blog I should write next. This particular post is one I've been daydreaming about for a long long time. There is no other way to begin than to say, I feel most like a movie star when I run. This is because I usually have my music blasting through my headphones narrating every move I make... it's easy to imagine that I'm in a movie with music dictating the mood of my every movement. And quite literally, the music does dictate my mood while I run, causing me to run slow, fast, confidently, and timidly. If I'm sad or happy I choose music that reflects those moods and I'm able to match my running. To put it mildly, it's cathartic, especially if I'm angry.

This post isn't really about running or my moods, it's actually about Greg and me. You see, as long as I've known Greg he's been influencing my music. That's right, for the past 9 years Greg has been influencing my music!

Way back when I was 16 Greg made me a cd, one I still listen to. It was accompanied by a note, that I still have, giving a reason for every song. So romantic :) When we started dating the second time around I was in a big car accident, and Greg made me a cd for my new car, which he sent to me in the mail with the sweetest card, which I also still have.

Then we got engaged and Greg made the first KJ & G album. It is this album and all that follow that I've been thinking about. They are filled with songs that are so completely Greg-style, and some that are Kj-style, and other that are OUR-style, and others that just simply are. These are the songs that make the sountrack to my life. Today I'll share some of them, tomorrow some more, and on Wednesday (our 3 year wedding anniversary) I'll share the newest album :)

KJ & G volume 1:
1. For You, Barenaked Ladies
2. If I Had a Boat, Lyle Lovett
3. You Got It, Roy Orbison
4. I'm Gonna Be, Proclaimers
5. Short Skirt, Long Jacket, Cake
6. You Can Call Me Al, Paul Simon
7. Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes
8. Me Gustas Tu, Manu Chao
9. New Slang, The Shins
10. Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key, Woody Guthrie
11. Such Great Heights, Iron & Wine
12. Doctor, Catie Curtis
13. Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime, Beck
14. The Luckiest, Ben Folds
15. Trapeze Swinger, Iron & Wine
16. Nobody Knows Me Like My Baby, Lyle Lovett

KJ & G volume 2:
1. Trim, Underworld
2. For The Longest Time, Billy Joel
3. Better Together, Jack Johnson
4. Wildflowers, Tom Petty
5. This Love, Maroon 5
6. Such Great Heights, The Postal Service
7. The Boxer, Simon & Garfunkel
8. Under A Stormy Sky, Crystal Plamondon
9. More Than Words, Extreme
10. We Will Become Silhouettes, The Postal Service
11. Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx
12. Scarborough Fair, Simon & Garfunkel
13. Bee's Wing, Richard Thompson
14. Pink Moon, Nick Drake
15. Fields of Gold, Eva Cassidy
16. Wonderful Tonight, Eric Clapton
17. Nobody Knows Me Like My Baby, Lyle Lovett

KJ & G Volume 3
1. Burning Up, Alpinestars
2. You're My Best Friend, Queen
3. We Will Become Silhouettes, The Shins
4. Don't Crash The Ambulance, Mark Knopfler
5. Crash Into Me, Dave Matthews Band
6. Buildings and Bridges, Ani Difranco
7. Gentle Moon, Sun Kil Moon
8. I Love You Always Forever, Donna Lewis
9. One Hundred Years, Five For Fighting
10. Make You Feel That Way, Blackalicious
11. Make Someone Happy, Jimmy Durante
12. That's Amore, Dean Martin
13. Change The World, Eric Clapton
14. (They Long To Be) Close To You, The Carpenters
15. Perhaps Love, John Denver
16. I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song, Jim Croce
17. Hallelujah, Rufus Wainwright
18. Nobody Knows Me Like My Baby, Lyle Lovett

More to come tomorrow :)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

How cute! I don't know all of them, so I will have to download them and listen to your love story! ;)