Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nellie McKay/Doris Day

For my birthday I got myself a gift, the new Nellie McKay Normal As Blueberry Pie {A Tribute to Doris Day} soundtrack. I heard about her on NPR.

Sometimes I feel like I grew up in the 1950's--the baby boomer generation. Thanks to my mom I grew up watching TV shows like I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Leave it to Beaver, and the Andy Griffith Show. My mom loves musicals too. So of course that was the genre of choice for the movies I watched as a young girl. Actually anything with Doris Day in it was the genre of choice, chez-moi, whether it was a musical or not. Doris Day has always been her favorite actress/singer. So I guess I get it from my mom, I love Doris Day. I love I Love Lucy. I love that time period. It was a time when women were just beginning to establish their multi-layered roles openly in the world. And despite taking on new non-traditional roles as a woman, Doris Day somehow managed to maintain that classic womanly-ness. She is just so feminine, and I think her music reflects that. I love it.

I really love Nellie McKay's take on Doris Day's music. It sounds to me like a mix of Norah Jones and Frank Sinatra. I could listen to it all day long, every day.

To my mom, to Doris Day, to Nellie McKay, and all you feminine women out there, thank you for being so classy.

I got the picture from HERE

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I grew up watching those shows too! And I too, was born in the wrong era. What a fun post. Enjoy your Dorris Day soundtrack!