Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Puppy Search

So Greg and I are taking the plunge! We want to enlarge our family and get a puppy! We've been wanting to for a long long time now, but the timing hasn't been right. The time is now right! woot! woot!

We've been researching dog types and we think a beagle would suit our lifestyle well. They are smallish (18 - 30lbs), but not so small that their legs don't move fast enough to keep up with a quick jaunt. They are energetic, smart, and get along well with other animals, and people. They are gentle and incredibly tolerant. I look forward to taking my pup on runs with me, and I think Greg is looking forward to every part about having a dog...except the early morning bathroom breaks, well probably bathroom breaks in general, but you do what you gotta do.

We've started filling out applications and calling around to rescues (we want to get a rescued puppy). I've fallen in love with quite a few. Greg has particularly fallen in love with lovely Daisy
Lovely Daisy

So I called the SPCA of Stanislaus (in Modesto, CA) to see if we could arrange to meet Daisy and find out more about her. Whoever I talked to on the phone was completely RUDE! The women said to me, "In or out?" I said, "What do you mean by in or out?" and she said, "Will you keep her in our out?" so I said (in a very friendly voice, I was trying to give a good impression), "Oh, inside, we have an apartment." and she said (with very little patience), "Daisy has to be outside, she has lots of energy. You couldn't take care of her. She is an outside dog!" and that was the end of the conversation. She hung up. She didn't even give me a chance to tell her what a great person I am/potential dog owner, or to let her know that we are looking for an active dog, NOR did she give me a chance to say we live next to a dog-friendly park, or that I run daily and plan on running with Daisy. She has no idea what great dog parents Greg and I are going to be. It made me so mad! All I wanted to do was meet little Daisy. What's the harm in that? I know there are bad people in this world, and even good people with good intentions that just can't take care of a dog, BUT Greg and I aren't those kinds of people! We deserve a chance, at least, to be considered to adopt Daisy!

Well, maybe Daisy isn't the right dog for us, or maybe there are many dogs that are right for us, and it's just a matter of finding them. Soon we will find THE RIGHT one! I can't wait. Here are a few other dogs we are trying to line up appointments with:

Olive
Cherry
Winter

They are all so cute! Who knows if we'll even get a chance to meet any of these cuties, but someday soon we are going to be the proud parents of a rambunctious little tyke of a pup :)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

yayyy! I am so so happy that ya'll are getting a puppy! Burger and Derby can't wait to meet their new friend :)

Michelle said...

too cute.

sorry to hear that the woman at the shelter wasn't even willing to get to know you before making a judgment. :( it seems like a big mistake on their part.

Meg said...

Those are some pretty cute dogs. I am excited for you.

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I can't wait to meet whatever puppy you decide on :)

I agree, you guys will make AWESOME dog owners.