Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bittersweet

When I returned back to my nanny job, after the Christmas break, I was told that I am no longer needed. I was asked to continue my usual schedule through to the end of January, and starting in February I'll become one of their regular "babysitters". Part of me was excited because I've been wanting to quit for a long time, but another part of me was really sad. I really love the kids I work with, and I love being an important person in their lives. I haven't really told anyone yet, I haven't really known how to tell anyone. I don't feel like I was fired, I'm just needed less, but I also feel like I'm out of a job. I suppose I am.

Today was my last "usual" day. It went pretty well. A little weird. Avery the three year old and Mclain the 6 month old were both sick, but in good spirits. Their house was being used as a photo shoot for Pottery Barn, so a good part of the house was filled with interior designers, photographers, and future Pottery Barn goods. For that reason I spent most of the day with the kids in the basement. We did "ballet" to Zippidee doo da, made rock pets, went to the park, read lots of books, ate snacks, and had a good time. For a long time today I just held Mclain and sang him lullaby's until he fell asleep. It was so sweet the way he snuggled his head into the crevice between my shoulder and neck.

When it came time for me to leave, I walked to the door, and yelled goodbye to Catherine, Avery, and Mclain. Avery yelled, "WAIT! Kjersti Wait!" Then she ran as fast as she could with her arms open, her little feet pitter-pattering loudly on the wood floor. I leaned down to her level and she threw her arms around me and gave me a great big hug. It made me incredibly sad, and happy. I'm going to miss Avery the most.

1 comment:

Jared and Katie said...

Sad! I'm sorry Kjersti! When are you done with school?