Saturday, May 24, 2008

My Bedroom

I put together our bed today all by myself. It made me feel all confident and independent. It reminded me of when I was thirteen years old and I wanted hard wood floors in my bedroom. Originally my bedroom had hardwood floors, but years before had been covered with carpet. I asked my mom if we could have the hard wood floors restored. She told me that wasn't a good idea. So I went into my bedroom and, over the next few weeks, moved my furniture out of my room, tore out the carpet, tore out the cushioning under the carpet, and tore out all the nails, staples, and thorny like boards that held the carpet down. When I was done the floor looked so beautiful.

My mom was, of course, impressed. I think she also felt a tinge of guilt that she hadn't helped me, so she decided to help me paint my room. It was so elegant looking. It looked like it had been restored to it's original condition. If I do say so myself, it looked like a professional had come in and fixed up the place, not a thirteen year old little girl.

That was a really significant experience in my life. It secured the idea in my mind that whatever I set my mind to I can accomplish. I still feel a lot of pride when I think about all the work I did. Unfortunately, a few months later I moved to a newer house. I wonder if my hard wood floor is still on display in that house. I wish I had pictures.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Ah! I just love hard wood floors, especially when they are old! I am impresses for a 13 year old girl to be so handy! :)