Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Job Description

I am studying to become a Marriage and Family Therapist. In fact I graduate this June from my Masters program :D Many people I know have no idea what a Marriage and Family Therapist does, and I often find it difficult to describe what I do. I recently came across these FAQ's on Marriage and Family Therapists, and am satisfied with how my job is described.

If you don't read the whole article then perhaps this portion will give you hint of what I've been training to do for the past 3 years of my life:

"Marriage and family therapists treat a wide range of serious clinical problems including: depression, marital problems, anxiety, individual psychological problems, and child-parent problems.

Research indicates that marriage and family therapy is as effective, and in some cases more effective than standard and/or individual treatments for many mental health problems such as: adult schizophrenia, affective (mood) disorders, adult alcoholism and drug abuse, children's conduct disorders, adolescent drug abuse, anorexia in young adult women, childhood autism, chronic physical illness in adults and children, and marital distress and conflict."--The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy

3 comments:

Meg said...

I am very excited for you. Since this is a field I seriously considered I am more excited that someone I know is doing it. Anyways congrats!

Unknown said...

I think this is the perfect job for you :) I know you will be awesome at it!

Kjerry said...

thanks guys :)