Friday, August 22, 2008

Barack Obama and Technology


Yesterday I was driving in the car listening to NPR. NPR was having a pretty interesting discussion about Barack Obama giving people the opportunity to find out who he will choose to run as his VP running mate via their cell phones.

Someone called in to NPR and said it was just a gimmick to increase his celebrity status. Another said it was so people could feel important and good about supporting Barack Obama. Another said it was an interesting way to collect data from people that likely don't have home phones and therefore couldn't be included in census studies. Someone else said it was a way to get people excited about the campaign. I think those are all pretty interesting answers, and I wish I could have heard the whole discussion before I had reached my destination. Maybe I should download it.

This whole topic kinda got the wheel in my brain turning. I am one of those people that receives daily emails from "Barack." I occasionally donate a bit of money here or there to his campaign, and watch the video clips he sends out. Overall I'm pretty excited about the possibility of him winning, and I really enjoy "hearing" from him or someone on his campaign daily. So as my brain was spinning out of control, I thought, you know this is one of the many reasons why I support Obama. HE GETS MY GENERATION. My generation includes the up and coming leaders of this country, and the people that are the most active throughout the world. He gets that COMMUNICATION is a big deal to my generation, and he uses communication to its greatest potential. He is an effective communicator. Overall, he is savvy, he's in touch with the modern world...that can only be a good thing.

I'm sure I could say a lot more about this, but I won't. I'd love some feedback on this particular post. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was listening to NPR during that exact same discussion! And I also didn't get to hear all of it :(

I remember thinking that it's pretty awesome that he's doing something to get younger people excited about politics again. Kind of like the time when a "pirate" ran for student body president at NCSU, and everyone started actually caring about who won. Except less dumb.